The truth is that nothing will run smoothly without proper scheduling and this is the main reason why employee schedules are prepared on a regular basis. No business, company, or organization will survive when it lacks proper employee scheduling and the right employee scheduling tools. A work schedule template is a good example of a scheduling tool that managers have been taking advantage of to put up their schedules without wasting much of their time.
With a well-organized work schedule template , you will be in a position to manage employees well because it provides a lot of benefits, both for management and employee as well. Excel templates are some of the most common schedule templates but it is also possible to find a work schedule template in other formats, such as Word, if you wish.
Today, it is possible to download a basic work schedule template directly from the web for free or to create one personally with the help of various applications such as Word and Excel. Unfortunately, a schedule template might not be able to handle employee scheduling as effectively as scheduling software can.
For starters, it cannot handle shift changes and managers and supervisors have to call employees to update them on any schedule requests. In addition to this, schedule requests have to be done manually which not only consumes a lot of time, but also leaves lots of room for errors and mistakes
Online employee scheduling software that makes shift planning effortless.
Try it free.
On the other hand, there is a lot that employee scheduling software can do to make employee scheduling a success. Below are some of the things that scheduling software will be able to do (Please note that a work schedule template will never be able to perform the following functions) -
1. Scheduling software keeps employee data or information together in one place as opposed to schedule templates which have to be stored away in different file cabinets. This also means that scheduling employees on the web takes up less physical storage space. If your business has any plans of going paperless in future or you are simply tired of cluttered file cabinets, then its time to consider switching to a paper-free scheduling program such as online scheduling.
2. Another thing that a work schedule template would never do is to retrieve important data within seconds. With such templates, finding an employee's phone number alone can even take more than 10 minutes, something that scheduling software would be able to retrieve within the blink of an eye.
3. Scheduling software will also make it very easy for employers and employees as well to remember important dates and other things such as upcoming shifts, license and certification expiration dates, upcoming performance reviews, anniversaries, and other factors that are important for a company's bottom line.
4. It would also be easy to complete employee records easily with scheduling software. Important staff records include performance reviews, disciplinary records, wage rate history, training accruals, and many more. With scheduling software, mangers will be able to see the full history of a staff member just by a click of a mouse.
5. Managing time off accruals for sick days and vacations will also be effortless with online scheduling. The system will automatically accrue or accumulate time for each and every staff member depending on hire rate, certifications/qualifications, and position at the company.
6.It will also be easy to retrieve any kind of employee data you want whenever you want to make important decisions, such as terminations, promotions, and disciplinary measures. This is because, as we have already seen, scheduling software retrieves important reports, such as performance reviews, training records, and disciplinary warnings, within seconds. When you have easy access to accurate employee information, you will always be confident when making important decisions regarding your staff members.
7. Another thing about scheduling software is that it keeps all company files safe and secure. Account hierarchy levels prevent others in the organization from accessing private information. In addition, the data stored in this kind of software is protected from natural disasters because it is stored in the cloud and not in cabinets and files which can be destroyed by fires and other natural disasters.
In conclusion, a work schedule template can be a decent scheduling tool when used wisely, but the benefits of employee scheduling software outweigh those of a work schedule template by far. Furthermore, scheduling software is easy to install and use and business owners can expect to see its benefits soon after implementation.